Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Guest Blogger - The Gunny Sack - Horchow Knock-off Flower Petal Pillow


Hello Everyone, my name is Tonia and you can find me over at:




Congratulations to Michelle and her family on the birth of their darling new baby Remington!! I am so thrilled to be a guest on Someday Crafts while Michelle is enjoying time with her family.





I am a mom to three beautiful children and have been married for 16 years to my wonderful husband, Brian.






I want to invite you over to The Gunny Sack where I post crafty tutorials (Wire Memo Board), sewing tutorials (Sunglasses Case), fun stuff for the youngsters (yarn bowl) and recipes (Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake). But today I will share a new tutorial with you:



Knockoff Delancey Felt Petal Pillow from Horchow






Horchow sells this pillow for $145.00! I thought it was beautiful but unaffordable so I decided to make a knockoff and share the tutorial with you!

A free printable pattern for the flower pieces can be downloaded here.








To make the petals, I cut 1 inch wide strips of felt, cut the long strip into pieces slightly bigger than the petal pattern piece and then cut out the petals. I did not count how many pieces I needed, but it is a big stack! You can cut more as you go!












Lay the petals around the circle and sew them on. Make 4 layers of petals this way.





Sew a few stitches by hand to give the top petals shape and attach them to the center of the flower by hand stitching it.





Now, for the pillow, cut 1-14x14 inch square and 2-9x14 inch rectangles of the felt. I also cut 1-14x14 inch square and 2-9x14 inch rectangles of lace to add some texture to the pillow.





Stack a 9x14 inch felt piece and a lace piece and hem one of the 14 inch sides. Then, do the same with the other 9x14 inch pieces.





Now layer felt, lace, lace, felt and overlap the 2 back pieces as shown in the picture above and pin it in place. Then, sew around the outside of the fabric pieces and turn the pillow cover right-side-out.





1. Hot glue flower bases on pillow, close to each other so petals can overlap.


2. There are 4 open spaces in the center of the pillow between the flowers.


3. Cut out more of the top petals and sew 2 of the together.


4. Hot glue the top petal pairs into the 4 spaces.





Stuff pillow with your choice of filling or a pillow form.








Thanks for checking out my tutorial and I hope to see you soon at




THANKS, TONIA! That is one of the most beautiful pillows I have EVER SEEN! Your knock-off looks just like the real thing! I'm amazed! Thanks for sharing.


Visit The Gunny Sack today to get more awesome ideas to improve your life and home!


No comments:

Post a Comment