Thursday, September 8, 2011

Guest Blogger - Henry Happened - Anthropologie Knock-off Necklace


Hi! I'm Stephanie, a mother of two with a DIY addiction! I blog about stylish and crafty adventures at Henry Happened. I love to create fun accessories and I'm especially fond of making bracelets (like this one and this one).

When I saw
this necklace on Anthropologie, my first question was, are those paperclips? Then I thought how fun and easy it would be to make a similar necklace for WAY less than $198!



For the basic necklace - a fun project with kids - you will need:



  • Round wood shapes (found at Hobby Lobby for $2.99)


  • Piece of foam paper (found at Hobby Lobby for $0.80) Lots of great colors - I went with orange to match the inspiration necklace.


  • Thumb tacks


  • Paper clips


  • Glue

To take it a step further and get closer to the inspiration product, you will also need:



  • Gold spray paint


  • Wire cutters

Step 1: Glue 4 of the largest size circles together. Make 4 of these stacks.

Step 2: Trace 4 circles on the foam paper. Cut out and glue these on top of the 4 wooden circles. Cutting the circles was, for me, the hardest part. I'm sure there's a cutting tool that would make this way easier. My circles are not perfect, but I rather liked them a bit irregular.


Step 3: For two of the stacks, insert a thumb tack between the 2nd and 3rd wooden circles.

Step 4: Arrange the 4 stacks - two side by side with the other two on the outside at 11 o'clock position - and glue between them. Put some tape on the back to keep everything together while the glue dries.

Step 5: You can stop here and make a really cute statement necklace by lacing the paper clips together.



Step 6: Or you can keep going and cut off the inside loop of the paper clip with wire cutters.

Step 7: Spray paint both sides of the paper clips and thumb tacks with gold spray paint. (Yes, I used gold though my picture looks like it's silver!)

Two notes: I would recommend not linking the paper clips when spray painting as it makes it harder for the paint to reach all of the surfaces. Also, I was able to easily remove my thumbtacks, paint, and then stick them back in.



The final product!



Thank you for letting me visit here today!! I hope you will stop by Henry Happened and say hi!



Henry Happened


Thanks, Stephanie! Who would have thought that paper clips could make such a cute necklace? Especially one from Anthropologie!!! Your knock-off is such a whimsical piece to add to any collection! Visit Henry Happened today and see all the fun thing Stephanie has going on!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment